Terms & Conditions
LEISUREWEAR INTERNATIONAL LIMITED'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE SUPPLY OF GOODS
1.1 Definitions. "Business Day" means a day (other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday) when banks in London are open for business; "Conditions" means the terms and conditions set out in this document as amended from time to time in accordance with clause
11.3; "Contract" means the contract between LIL and the Customer for the sale and purchase of the Goods in accordance with these Conditions; "Customer" means the person or company who purchases the Goods from LIL; "Force Majeure Event" means an event or circumstance beyond a party's reasonable control; "Goods" means the goods (or any part of them) set out in the Order; "LIL" means Leisurewear International Limited registered in England and Wales with company number 04346735; "Order" means the Customer's order for the Goods, as set out in the Customer's purchase order form OR in the Customer's written acceptance of LIL's quotation OR the Customer's verbal acceptance of LIL's quotation, as the case may be.
1.2 Interpretation: (a) a reference to a statute or statutory provision is a reference to such statute or provision as amended or re-enacted. A reference to a statute or statutory provision includes any subordinate legislation made under that statute or statutory provision, as amended or re-enacted. (b) any phrase introduced by the terms including, include, in particular or any similar expression shall be construed as illustrative and shall not limit the sense of the words preceding those terms. (c) a reference to writing or written includes faxes and emails.
2. Basis of contract 2.1 These Conditions apply to the Contract to the exclusion of any other terms that the Customer seeks to impose or incorporate, or which are implied by trade, custom, practice or course of dealing.
2.2 The Order constitutes an offer by the Customer to purchase the Goods in accordance with these Conditions. The Customer is responsible for ensuring that the terms of the Order are complete and accurate.
2.3 The Order shall only be deemed to be accepted when LIL issues a written acceptance of the Order ("Sales Order Confirmation"), at which point the Contract shall come into existence.
2.4 The Customer waives any right it might otherwise have to rely on any term endorsed upon, delivered with or contained in any documents of the Customer that is inconsistent with these Conditions.
2.5 Any samples, drawings, descriptive matter or advertising produced by LIL and any descriptions or illustrations contained in LIL's marketing materials including website, catalogues or brochures are produced for the sole purpose of giving an approximate idea of the Goods referred to in them. They shall not form part of the Contract nor have any contractual force.
3. Goods 3.1 The Goods are described in LIL's catalogue and website.
3.2 LIL reserves the right to amend the specification of the Goods if required by any applicable statutory or regulatory requirements.
4.1 LIL shall ensure that each delivery of the Goods is accompanied by a delivery note that shows the date of the Order, all relevant Customer and LIL reference numbers, the type and quantity of the Goods (including the code number of the Goods, where applicable), a copy invoice and country certificates where relevant.
4.2 LIL shall deliver the Goods to the location set out in the Order or such other location as the parties may agree or the Customer shall collect the Goods from LIL's premises or such other location as may be advised by LIL prior to delivery (as specified in the Sales Order Confirmation) (Delivery Location) within 7 days of LIL notifying the Customer that the Goods are ready.
4.3 Delivery is completed on the completion of unloading OR loading of the Goods at the Delivery Location.
4.4 Any dates quoted for delivery are approximate only, and the time of delivery is not of the essence. LIL shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods that is caused by a Force Majeure Event or the Customer's failure to provide LIL with adequate delivery instructions or any other instructions that are relevant to the supply of the Goods.
4.5 If LIL fails to deliver the Goods, its liability shall be limited to the costs and expenses incurred by the Customer in obtaining replacement goods of similar description and quality in the cheapest market available, less the price of the Goods. LIL shall have no liability for any failure to deliver the Goods to the extent that such failure is caused by a Force Majeure Event or the Customer's failure to provide LIL with adequate delivery instructions or any other instructions that are relevant to the supply of the Goods.
4.6 If the Customer fails to take OR accept delivery of the Goods within seven Business Days of LIL notifying the Customer that the Goods are ready, then, except where such failure or delay is caused by a Force Majeure Event or LIL's failure to comply with its obligations under the Contract: (a) delivery of the Goods shall be deemed to have been completed at 9.00 am on the seventh Business Day after the day on which LIL notified the Customer that the Goods were ready; and (b) LIL shall store the Goods until delivery takes place, and charge the Customer for all related costs and expenses (including insurance).
4.7 If ten Business Days after the day on which LIL notified the Customer that the Goods were ready for delivery the Customer has not taken OR accepted delivery of them, LIL may resell or otherwise dispose of part or all of the Goods and, after deducting reasonable storage and selling costs, account to the Customer for any excess over the price of the Goods or charge the Customer for any shortfall below the price of the Goods.
4.8 If LIL delivers up to and including 5% more or less than the quantity of Goods ordered the Customer may not reject them, but on receipt of notice from the Customer that the wrong quantity of Goods was delivered, a pro rata adjustment shall be made to the Order invoice.
4.9 LIL may deliver the Goods by instalments, which shall be invoiced and paid for separately. Any delay in delivery or defect in an instalment shall not entitle the Customer to cancel any other instalment.
5.1 LIL warrants that on delivery, the Goods shall conform in all material respects with their description.
5.2 Subject to clause 5.3, if: (a) the Customer gives notice in writing to LIL within a reasonable time of discovery that some or all of the Goods do not comply with the warranty set out in clause 5.1; (b) LIL is given a reasonable opportunity of examining such Goods; and (c) the Customer (if asked to do so by LIL) returns such Goods to LIL's place of business at LIL's cost, LIL shall, at its option, replace the defective Goods, or refund the price of the defective Goods in full.
5.3 LIL shall not be liable for the Goods' failure to comply with the warranty set out in clause 5.1 in any of the following events: (a) the Customer makes any further use of such Goods after giving notice in accordance with clause 5.2; (b) the defect arises because the Customer failed to follow LIL's oral or written instructions as to the storage of the Goods or (if there are none) good trade practice regarding the same; (c) the defect arises as a result of LIL following any drawing, design or specification supplied by the Customer; (d) the Customer alters or repairs such Goods without the written consent of LIL; (e) the defect arises as a result of wilful damage, negligence, or abnormal storage or working conditions; or (f) the Goods differ from their description as a result of changes made to ensure they comply with applicable statutory or regulatory requirements. 5.4 Except as provided in this clause 5, LIL shall have no liability to the Customer in respect of the Goods' failure to comply with the warranty set out in clause 5.1. 5.5 The terms implied by sections 13 to 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded from the Contract. 5.6 These Conditions shall apply to any replacement Goods supplied by LIL.
6. Title and risk
6.1 The risk in the Goods shall pass to the Customer on completion of delivery.
6.2 Title to the Goods shall not pass to the Customer until the earlier of: (a) LIL receives payment in full (in cash or cleared funds) for the Goods and any other goods that LIL has supplied to the Customer in respect of which payment has become due, in which case title to the Goods shall pass at the time of payment of all such sums; and (b) the Customer resells the Goods, in which case title to the Goods shall pass to the Customer at the time specified in clause 6.4. 6.3 Until title to the Goods has passed to the Customer, the Customer shall: (a) store the Goods separately from all other goods held by the Customer so that they remain readily identifiable as LIL's property; (b) not remove, deface or obscure any identifying mark or packaging on or relating to the Goods; (c) maintain the Goods in satisfactory condition and keep them insured against all risks for their full price from the date of delivery; (d) notify LIL immediately if it becomes subject to any of the events listed in clause 8.1; and (e) give LIL such information relating to the Goods as LIL may require from time to time. 6.4 Subject to clause 6.5, the Customer may resell or use the Goods in the ordinary course of its business (but not otherwise) before LIL receives payment for the Goods. However, if the Customer resells the Goods before that time: (a) it does so as principal and not as LIL’s agent; and (b) title to the Goods shall pass from LIL to the Customer immediately before the time at which resale by the Customer occurs. 6.5 If, before title to the Goods passes to the Customer, the Customer becomes subject to any of the events listed in clause 8.1, then, without limiting any other right or remedy LIL may have: (a) the Customer's right to resell the Goods or use them in the ordinary course of its business ceases immediately; and (b) LIL may at any time: (i) require the Customer to deliver up all Goods in its possession that have not been resold; and (ii) if the Customer fails to do so promptly, enter any premises of the Customer or of any third party where the Goods are stored in order to recover them.
7. Price and payment 7.1 The price of the Goods shall be the price set out in the invoice. 7.2 LIL may, by giving notice to the Customer at any time before delivery, increase the price of the Goods to reflect any increase in the cost of the Goods that is due to: (a) any factor beyond LIL's control (including foreign exchange fluctuations, increases in taxes and duties, and increases in labour, materials and other manufacturing costs); (b) any request by the Customer to change the delivery date(s), quantities or types of Goods ordered; or (c) any delay caused by any instructions of the Customer or failure of the Customer to give LIL adequate or accurate information or instructions. 7.3 The price of the Goods: (a) excludes amounts in respect of value added tax (VAT), which the Customer shall additionally be liable to pay to LIL at the prevailing rate, subject to the receipt of a valid VAT invoice; and (b) excludes the costs and charges of packaging, insurance and transport of the Goods, which shall be invoiced to the Customer. 7.4 LIL may invoice the Customer for the Goods on or at any time after the Order has been received. 7.5 The Customer shall pay the invoice in full and in cleared funds in accordance with the terms stated on the invoice. Payment shall be made to the bank account specified on the invoice. Time of payment is of the essence. 7.6 If the Customer fails to make any payment due to LIL under the Contract by the due date for payment, then the Customer shall pay interest on the overdue amount at the rate of 4% per annum above Barclays Bank's base rate from time to time. Such interest shall accrue on a daily basis from the due date until actual payment of the overdue amount, whether before or after judgment. The Customer shall pay the interest together with the overdue amount. 7.7 The Customer shall pay all amounts due under the Contract in full without any set-off, counterclaim, deduction or withholding (except for any deduction or withholding required by law). LIL may at any time, without limiting any other rights or remedies it may have, set off any amount owing to it by the Customer against any amount payable by LIL to the Customer.
8. Termination 8.1 Without limiting its other rights or remedies, LIL may terminate this Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to the Customer if: (a) the Customer commits a material breach of any term of the Contract and (if such a breach is remediable) fails to remedy that breach within 30 days of that party being notified in writing to do so; (b) the Customer takes any step or action in connection with its entering administration, provisional liquidation or any composition or arrangement with its creditors (other than in relation to a solvent restructuring), being wound up (whether voluntarily or by order of the court, unless for the purpose of a solvent restructuring), having a receiver appointed to any of its assets or ceasing to carry on business or, if the step or action is taken in another jurisdiction, in connection with any analogous procedure in the relevant jurisdiction; (c) the Customer suspends, threatens to suspend, ceases or threatens to cease to carry on all or a substantial part of its business; or (d) the Customer's financial position deteriorates to such an extent that in LIL's opinion the Customer's capability to adequately fulfil its obligations under the Contract has been placed in jeopardy. 8.2 Without limiting its other rights or remedies, LIL may suspend provision of the Goods under the Contract or any other contract between the Customer and LIL if the Customer becomes subject to any of the events listed in clause 8.1(a) to clause 8.1(d), or LIL reasonably believes that the Customer is about to become subject to any of them, or if the Customer fails to pay any amount due under this Contract on the due date for payment. 8.3 Without limiting its other rights or remedies, LIL may terminate the Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to the Customer if the Customer fails to pay any amount due under the Contract on the due date for payment and remains in default not less than 14 days after being notified in writing to make such payment. 8.4 On termination of the Contract for any reason the Customer shall immediately pay to LIL all of LIL's outstanding unpaid invoices and interest. 8.5 Termination of the Contract shall not affect any of the parties' rights and remedies that have accrued as at termination, including the right to claim damages in respect of any breach of this Contract that existed at or before the date of termination. 8.6 Any provision of the Contract that expressly or by implication is intended to come into or continue in force on or after termination shall remain in full force and effect.
9. Limitation of liability 9.1 Nothing in these Conditions shall limit or exclude LIL's liability for: (a) death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or the negligence of its employees, agents or subcontractors (as applicable); (b) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; (c) breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979; or (d) defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987; or (e) any matter in respect of which it would be unlawful for LIL to exclude or restrict liability. 9.2 Subject to clause 9.1: (a) LIL shall under no circumstances whatsoever be liable to the Customer, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any loss of profit, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with the Contract; and (b) LIL's total liability to the Customer in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with the Contract, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed the price of the relevant Goods.
10. Force majeure Neither party shall be in breach of this Contract nor liable for delay in performing, or failure to perform, any of its obligations under this Contract if such delay or failure result from a Force Majeure Event. If the period of delay or non-performance continues for 4 weeks, the party not affected may terminate this Contract by giving 14 days' written notice to the affected party.
11. General 11.1 Assignment and other dealings. (a) LIL may at any time assign, transfer, mortgage, charge, subcontract or deal in any other manner with all or any of its rights or obligations under the Contract. (b) The Customer may not assign, transfer, mortgage, charge, subcontract, declare a trust over or deal in any other manner with any or all of its rights or obligations under the Contract without the prior written consent of LIL. 11.2 Entire agreement. (a) This Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and supersedes and extinguishes all previous agreements, promises, assurances, warranties, representations and understandings between them, whether written or oral, relating to its subject matter. (b) Each party agrees that it shall have no remedies in respect of any statement, representation, assurance or warranty (whether made innocently or negligently) that is not set out in this agreement. Each party agrees that it shall have no claim for innocent or negligent misrepresentation or negligent misstatement based on any statement in this agreement. 11.3 Variation. No variation of this Contract shall be effective unless it is in writing and signed by the parties (or their authorised representatives). 11.4 Waiver. A waiver of any right or remedy is only effective if given in writing and shall not be deemed a waiver of any subsequent breach or default. A delay or failure to exercise, or the single or partial exercise of, any right or remedy shall not: (a) waive that or any other right or remedy; nor (b) prevent or restrict the further exercise of that or any other right or remedy. 11.5 Severance. If any provision or part-provision of the Contract is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it shall be deemed modified to the minimum extent necessary to make it valid, legal and enforceable. If such modification is not possible, the relevant provision or part-provision shall be deemed deleted. Any modification to or deletion of a provision or part-provision under this clause shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of the Contract. 11.6 Notices. (a) Any notice or other communication given to a party under or in connection with the Contract shall be in writing, addressed to that party at its registered office (if it is a company) or its principal place of business (in any other case) or such other address as that party may have specified to the other party in writing in accordance with this clause, and shall be delivered personally, sent by pre-paid first class post or other next working day delivery service if in the UK, or by commercial courier, or fax or email. (b) A notice or other communication shall be deemed to have been received: if delivered personally, when left at the address referred to in clause 11.7(a); if sent by pre-paid first class post or other next working day delivery service in the UK, at 9.00 am on the second Business Day after posting; if delivered by commercial courier, on the date and at the time that the courier's delivery receipt is signed; or, if sent by fax or email, one Business Day after transmission subject to receiving an acknowledgement of receipt or successful transmission. (c) The provisions of this clause shall not apply to the service of any proceedings or other documents in any legal action. 11.7 Third party rights. No one other than a party to this Contract and their permitted assignees shall have any right to enforce any of its terms. 11.8 Governing law. The Contract, and any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales. 11.9 Jurisdiction. Each party irrevocably agrees that the courts of England and Wales shall have non exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with this Contract or its subject matter or formation.